Monday, September 25, 2006

Banned Books Week: Day III

So anyways, I know I'm a tad late, but hey, I DID remember.

So here was what I was thinking. Everyday, I plan on showing you some of MY favorite books. Some are considered harmless. Some . . . well, aren't.

Anyways, here's my first batch.

It's a cop out I know, to do six books at once but it IS a book series after all.

Yes, I am talking about The Harry Potter series:

Harry Potter & the Sorcerer's Stone (1997)
Harry Potter & the Chamber of Secrets (1998)
Harry Potter & the Prisoner of Azkaban (1999)
Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire (2000)
Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix (2003)
Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince (2005)
The Eventual Book 7 (unnamed and undated)

Any ways, this is the series that makes magic epic in our very own world. Unlike the tales of Narina or even Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter exists in our own world, actually set in a time period of 1991-1998 . . . with certain events happening as far back as a thousand years earlier, as well as the forties, fifties, sixties, seventies, and eighties, with Harry Potter being born July 31, 1980.

While many may claim that HP is a series that takes advantage of concepts and ideas from other well-known literatures, thing is, to create such a world as HP almost "demands" a tribute to certain books here and there.

And then there are the nuts (no offense) who believe that Harry Potter is pure evil. Let me just say this: Read the books for once! Then make a comment. While you may end up still not liking the series, at least it won't be a bias comment that's generally "EVIL!!"

As for the legacy of how this series has played a part in my life, I've been a fan since 2000, just a month or so before the release of Book 4. Good times, indeed.

Since then, I've read the first four twelve times (that was a LONG three years between Books 4 & 5!), the fifth twice, and the sixth once.

When the Seventh book comes out (and I'm slightly hoping for a 07/07/07 release - If it comes out later than that, odds are, it'll be longer!), I'm sure I'll be a fan of it as well. Until then, I'm just learning how to be a patient fan. Being a fan for six years now has been truly gratifying.

Now if only the movies were half as good as the books. Mind you, I thought the first and second rocked. The fourth was okay. Number 3 . . . bad. Just bad, IMO.

So that's it. I've posted some pics of the Four Founders of Hogwarts and how their pasts will surely be crucial in Book 7!! Come back tomorrow to see what next for my Banned Books Week Book Review!

Phoenician



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home